Top Five Women Tennis Players of All Time
Over the years WTA Rankings have earned the ire of the critics and many termed them absurd. According to them these rankings do not justify the efforts of players and bring forth a cryptic picture as many players have become World No. 1 without winning a single Major title. It is because of the contributions of some legendary tennis players that this individual game has earned substantial following all across the globe. Let’s take a look at top five women tennis players of all time.
1. Steffi Graf – 22 Majors, 107 titles: On first position we have the queen of titles, Steffi Graf who brought aggression and agility to the game and thoroughly ruled the tennis landscape for more than five years – she did all the right things on court to augment the popularity of tennis. Graf won 25 out of 30 tournaments in 1988 and 1989 – including seven of eight Grand Slams and an Olympic gold medal. She was World No. 1 for a record 337 weeks. In total, Graf won 11 Grand Slams.
2. Martina Navratilova – 18 Majors, 167 titles: When it comes to consistency, Martina Navratilova is certainly the greatest of all times. Navratilova finished her career with mind-boggling stats: 1,442 wins, 167 titles with a 74-match win streak. She also played in 23 consecutive singles finals, won 18 singles titles at Grand Slams, 59 total titles at the Slams with nine victories at Wimbledon.
3. Chris Evert – 18 Majors, 157 titles: Chis Evert dominated the era, when tennis was spreading its reach throughout the globe. She had her tough times on the court, but with sheer resilience and determination, Evert made an impact in a big-hitting era. Evert made into the semifinals of her first 34 Grand Slams. Evert gradually became a household name in all the nations, which were promoting tennis at that point of time.
4. Margaret Court – 24 Majors, 92 titles: Margaret Court played in both the amateur and Open eras. She became the second woman ever to win the Grand Slam. She won 21 tournaments and posted a tremendous 104-6 record.
5. Serena Williams – 13 Majors, 37 titles: Serena Williams became a force to be reckoned with in the modern era of tennis. The younger Williams sister won 13 Slams and she can add a few more – provided she would stay fit at this juncture of her career. Williams just need a few good victorious under her belt to get back her devastating form.