The Science of Yoga
Yoga science is a study of the structural framework of the body; the composition and function of various organs and glands; the chemical reaction between glands and hormones; the latent energy residing in the body and the energy created as a result of different chemical reactions; the effect of this released energy and sound. It also sets up to gain knowledge about the brain, its intelligibility, its thoughts patterns and its working. The thought as a pulsation and its effects are also observed. The part played by awareness is looked at too.
How Yoga Science is Applied
- Through asanas (exercises) to support all the bodily mechanisms, setting them straight, kindling and recharging cells of all organs and glands.
- Through relaxation methods that coordinate and direct flow of energy to all parts of the body; and dispel stress from the being.
- Through pranayama (breathing exercises) to rejuvenate and fortify body and mind.
- Through concentration and meditation practices the brain developments an illuminated insight, calm, control over emotions; it is also empowered to direct all procedures.
How Healing Comes About
The science of yoga uses yoga exercise for therapeutic purposes; to heal and harmonize all aspects of an individual, mind, body and soul. With this procedure one is taught to live an integrated life; one is made to identify and get rid of all factors that disintegrate the existence. Performing various asanas improves the circulation of blood and lymphatic liquids in the entire body. It enables all the tissues of the body to discharge toxic wastes and replenish themselves with nutrients. Regulated breathing exercises allow our blood to have a high reserve of oxygen which is the primary nutrient for our bodies. The stretching postures of Hatha yoga work on all the muscles and joints, making them elastic and flexible, giving them freedom of movement by taking away the stiffness and rigidity. Relaxation positions reduce the pressure on the limbs and the mind. Yoga as a science also develops mental acuity and lucidity; one is able to focus and concentrate on one's problems and cure itself. Arouse of the spirit brings an awareness of one's internal and external beings, unifies them and enables one to live a balanced life with ultimate peace of mind.
Yoga Science for Equilibrium
Yoga aims to attain an existence that is full of happiness, tranquility and success; this awareness can not be reached without one understands what the true meaning of happiness and success is. Yoga science teachers about transferring above materialism; conducting one's duty without expecting any rewards in this world and removing one's self from the joys and frustrations of this materialistic life. An individual can be considered to exist in a state of harmony and equilibrium when his physical humors are in a balance and he has:
- A generally even digestive system and metabolism
- Basically essential tissues are functioning normally
- All organic workings and secretions are conductively smooth
- There prevails a general sense of well-being (Prasana) at all levels; spiritual (Atma), mental (Mana) and sensory (Indriya)