Remote Desktop Service – Advantages, Disadvantages and Its Monitoring
Remote desktop service is a technology enabling you to sit at a computer and connect to a remote computer (host computer) in a different location. In other words, you can get access to your office computer from your home desktop and can use all your files, applications, and network resources exactly as you use to work on your office computer. You need to leave your office computer on with programs running and when you get home you can watch your work computer’s desktop seen on your home computer, with the same programs running.
Industry Application Remote Desktop Service
RDS is successfully applied in multiple industries for the management of IT infrastructure. Now, leveraging RDS, new applications or updates can be installed in all the computers through single command without practically doing it separately. In addition several computer problems can be identified and debugged by remotely accessing the affected computer.
In education field also several educational institutions are using RDS for offering students the option of distance learning. Students can learn or watch a presentation or do exercise by getting connected to a computer at their school.
RDS is also being used in telecommuting sector. Lot of telecommuting opportunities are available these days wherein an employee can work from anywhere with an access to a PC with an internet connection.
Advantages and Disadvantages
With the availability of the high-speed internet access you can now host your software applications hosted remotely, which will enable global businesses access to shared applications easily without the need of any IT specialist and prominent computer knowledge.
The advantages of Remote Desktop are:
1. Disaster Recovery: In RDS there is no fear of losing any data by theft or disaster, because all documents and files are stored in secure data centers. All connections to your remote desktop are encrypted to ensure your correspondences are safe and secured from being hacked.
2. Freedom to Work from Anywhere: This system enables you to move with your laptop or computer system and work seamlessly from anywhere, anytime.
3. Cost Effective: This remote desktop system will cut down your cost of purchasing Microsoft Office Suite as it generally comes with remote IT system package.
Remote desktop service, being one of the most popular remote software service necessities for many businesses, it also comes with certain disadvantages which include:
1. Powerful RDS Required: The remote desktop service should be powerful enough to be able to monitor all connections. As several computers are monitored through a centralized RDS hence the capacity of RDS needs to be powerful enough to take the functional load of multiple computer systems or else the entire setup may go haywire.
2. RDS Monitoring Required: The remote desktop service is the prominent source of risk of downtime. The entire system will collapse if the remote desktop service will fail unless a RDS monitoring system is in place.
3. Reliable Network Required: The performance of the system entirely is also impacted by the network credibility. The entire system will be down if the network of remote desktop service is disruptive.
4. Right Adjustment in Network Required: The network should be adjusted and sized suitably just to ensure that it should not become the bottleneck when remote desktop services are established.
5. Knowledgeable Administrator: The administrator needs to be skilled and should have necessary knowledge and be available in the business hours.
Remote Desktop Services Monitoring
Given the above benefits and disadvantages, it is quite imperative to have RDS monitoring system for its functionality, availability, responsiveness and appropriate performance. This remote desktop services monitoring system usually generates a real time alert, in case any problem in the RDS accessed application is being witnessed. This alert enables the IT specialists to rectify the error before it disrupts end users’ systems.