Helpful Tips When Attending an Autograph Signing
* Bring items to get signed
* Bring your own pens – always bring the type of pen you want signed, usually a black/blue sharpie or black/blue ballpoint pen. All of the sports gatherings events will have pens readily available for the players to sign; however, there are times when the ink will run out. If you let the players borrow your pen, you never know what good will come out of it. (Thank You to Laura for this tip)
* Bring water and snacks (note that at many of the fanfests and conventions, they do not allow either to be brought inside), but if you are going to a caravan, at least bring water and some munchies
* Bring an ipod/mp3 player – at these events, you’ll want to keep yourself busy. Yes, you can talk, but you can only talk for so long. Sometimes you just want to listen to some music.
* Bring a family member and/or friends – most of the time, the autographs are one per person, but if you bring a buddy or family member, you can split up. It might not help so much with friends, but it will certainly help if the memorabilia stays in the family.
* Bring a backpack to store your baseball memorabilia such as trading cards you want signed, baseballs, mini helmets, hockey pucks, etc.
* Bring money – at many of these fanfests, conventions, and caravans, they have tables set up with dealers that sell trading cards, signed and unsigned memorabilia, among other things
* Get there early – some of the fanfests and conventions have strict policies on when you can start lining up, some do not and actually require you to stay in line to get autograph tickets. The caravans are a completely different beast in that most caravans offer free autographs for players that are not only up and coming prospects, but superstar players. For caravans, it is highly recommended you get there at least 2 hours prior and start waiting in line.
* Wear comfortable…everything. You will be waiting in line either way.
* Bring a seat or a bucket – if you don’t mind what others think of you.
* Bring a camera – if you bring a camera, you will take at least one picture guaranteed.
* Scout local bars and lobbies before and after the event because the fanfest or convention usually takes place in a hotel.